Do you want to strategically worm your horse to reduce over-use of wormers?
Do you want to be cost effective with your worming?
Do you want to reduce the risk of drug resistance developing?
In order to adopt a targeted strategic worm control plan for your horses we advise that in mid-May to early June you have a worm egg count done on each of your horses. This enables us to see how well your current methods of worm control are working.Â We can then advise you whether worming of your horse is required or is unnecessary. A further worm egg count for each horse is required in early August for continued monitoring.
When should I have the first red worm egg count (WEC) done?
Mid May to early June is the best time. The dung sample should only be collected when your horse has not been wormed for at least eight weeks (13 weeks if you last used an Equest wormer) otherwise you could have an artificially low WEC.Â Please seek individual advice from our vets for all horses less than 4 years old and pregnant mares.
Don't worry if you haven't ordered your Penbode Equine Worming Pack - there's still time!
We blood tested a number of horses in previous years for tapeworm levels and have concluded that twice yearly (July and December) treatment for tapeworms is advisable in our area
Contact us on 01409 255549 or 01822 613838 and order your Penbode Equine worming pack
- Two sample bags for the May/June and August counts labelled with dates of sampling. We also include a postage-paid envelope for you to return the samples(s)
- Full instructions of how and when to collect samples
- A single Equitape syringe for tapeworm treatment in July for up to 600kg bwt.
We will then advise you regarding the appropriate treatment of roundworms, which in many cases is that no treatment is required!
- Cost -35.82GBP per pack inc. VAT
- Orders -Must be received at the clinic on or before Friday 1 June 2018.
- Collection -Worming packs will be available from the clinic on or after Wednesday 6 June 2018.
- Payment -FULL payment will be required when your order is placed. Six or more packs attract a 2.5% discount if on a single order with a single payment.
If your horse is tail rubbing and you suspect Pinworms please call us to discuss appropriate treatment. A blood test for tapeworm antibodies can be performed for an additional fee if required.