Are you making the most of genomics to breed a better herd?
Penbode Farm Vets are pleased to announce that Phil Leighton BVM&S MRCVS and Andy Tyrer BVetMed MA (CANTAB) MRCVS are now qualified to offer CLARIFIDE genomic testing to dairy farmers in Devon and Cornwall. CLARIFIDE has been developed by Zoetis and used extensively across the world.
Genomic testing is changing the way dairy farmers make management, selection and breeding decisions on farm. To date, the major focus of genomic testing has been the benefit in identifying high quality young bulls early. However, the ability to use the exact same power of prediction for female young stock is now a cost effective management tool for any dairy farmer.
Make breeding decisions with higher reliability
CLARIFIDE genomic testing works by improving the reliability of composite and individual heifer predicted transmitting abilities, from approximately 25% (based on parent averages), to a much higher 60-70%.
The Clarifide package allows you to work with your vets to discover the current strengths and weaknesses of your herds genetic profile and then to determine which genetic traits are most important to improving the future profitability of your animals. The Clarifide test then reveals early in life which heifers have those desirable genetic traits, allowing you to make the most of them, whilst also making sure that you arent wasting time and money breeding replacements from those not likely to perform the way you want them to.
Overall, this means genetic progress can be accelerated with confidence and your herd profitability enhanced by capitalizing on improved performance across a number of traits.
About the testing
Testing is conducted on a hair sample and is available for Holstein, Jersey and Brown Swiss heifers. The recommended testing age is from 0-12 months.
Samples are submitted for the core selection index (PLI), as well as production, type, health, management and fitness traits. Parentage confirmation and actual/future inbreeding figures are returned. Genetic recessive conditions and haplotypes that can cause significant losses are also included.
This reliable and excellent NEW service ensures that maximum return from investment in genomic testing is achieved. We can align the genomic testing with herd health goals to rapidly maximise yours herd's potential.
What well do
1. Before testing one of our two CLARIFIDE trained vets will visit you to appraise your herds current genetic base. To do so, we need your authorisation to access your genetic report from the AHDB. Your vet will have some forms or you can download one here.
2. We will then discuss your goals for your herd and your business and put in place the breeding objectives specific to the farm.
3. We will then take you through what CLARIFIDE can do for you and what it would cost. Pricing is tailored per farm based on a charge per head of heifers tested + a monthly consultancy charge.
4. The first set of samples will be taken by our CLARIFIDE trained vets who will also analyse the data on its return from the US laboratory. Subsequent tests can be taken by our Suitably Qualified Persons (SQPs or Vet Techs).
5. Samples are sent to the lab for testing and results are returned in 6-8 weeks.
6. Our CLARIFIDE trained vets will then analyse the data and rank the animals based on the previously agreed ranking that is bespoke to your farm. Focusing on those areas where an improvement through breeding would help to improve your herds performance and productivity.
7. The results are then presented in an easy to understand format so that the predefined action plan can be implemented easily.
Call your nearest Penbode Farm Vets practice to schedule an appointment or speak to your vet at your next visit.